There are countless fad diets, weight-loss pills and healthy eating guides that promise to help you lose weight and keep it off in seemingly miraculous ways. Many of these methods, unfortunately, do not achieve what they promise and can actually lead to unhealthy eating habits. The best way to lose weight in a healthy and safe manner is by making simple yet effective lifestyle changes. However, how do you weed out all the useless information and figure out what works best? Fortunately, there are a few proven ways to help you permanently lose weight that don’t require the end to your social life or extreme changes to how and what you eat.
How to Start Losing Weight and Feeling Great
The key to implementing permanent and healthy weight-loss is to understand that there isn’t a “one-size-fits-all” solution. You need to find and develop the healthy habits that work best for you. There are resources available to make the process easier and more permanent.
- Goal-oriented Weight Management – Setting goals works great for career and life success. Short and long-term goals can also help you to develop healthy eating habits. However, some goals are better than others. While striving to look great at the pool or the beach may seem like a perfect goal to set, it can be easily pushed aside when food cravings strike. Wanting to stay healthy for the sake of children or loved ones is less likely to get overlooked when the time comes.
- Weight Management Tools – There are a lot of resources to help those interested in developing a healthy lifestyle. On the internet, there are countless sites available that do everything from creating healthy meal plans to tracking weight loss goals and calculating calories.
- Social Support – Everything is easier when you have friends and family supporting you. Although it’s great to have people backing you up and cheering your success, it’s even better to have someone along for the ride. Finding a dieting and work-out partner, whether it’s a friend or a family member, will help you stay motivated and avoid temptations.
Top 5 Nutrition Tips
Having the tools, goals and support to lose weight will prepare you for the changes, but you also must know how to eat properly. These tips will help you shed those pounds while feeling great in the process.
- Vegetables, Fruits and Fibers Are Your Friends – It’s important to understand that you don’t have to starve yourself to lose weight. The key is eating the right foods. Fruits and vegetables of any type are great diet aids. Also, high-fiber cereals, oatmeal and breads are perfect for helping you to feel full longer.
- The Red, Orange and Green Rule – Try to plan your meals by including foods of these colors. This will make sure that your plate is full of healthy things like fruit, vegetables, fish or chicken and less high-calorie items.
- Use Smaller Plates – Portion control is one of the most important ways to eat less while still getting a balanced diet. The easiest way to do this is by using smaller plates at meal time. You’ll have less room for large portions, so you won’t feel guilty about eating too much.
- Hold the Salt – On average, Americans eat twice as much salt than their daily allowance recommends. This is one of the leading factors to many weight problems including bloating and the inability to shed stubborn fat.
- Slow Down and Enjoy Each Bite – New research shows that people who eat fast are more prone to being overweight. This is because of the time it takes for your brain to receive the message that you’re full. Also, you’ll get more enjoyment out of that delicious dinner if you take the time to savor each bite.